I have been discussing with my colleagues what is the best catering for Melbourne Cup. Not surprisingly, being rather interested in food; we all had a different opinion. The consistent view was that the corporate catering needs to be fresh, fun and easy to eat on this fantastic day.
Have a look at the three different Melbourne Cup catering options that we all agreed would be delicious.
Functions and Events Manager
Race time nibbles
Jonathan is all for a gourmet finger food catering event, keeping it fluid and fun. These canapés can be served either by a waiter or placed on a table for your guests to help themselves.
- King prawn with smoked paprika aioli and fresh lemon (gf)
- Crostini of seared peppe crusted bef, mustard cress and chutney
- Shortcrust tartlet of Bulgarian feta, adobo spiced pumpkin and dukkah (v)
- Chicken ballotine with sage, prosciutto and smoked tomato compote (gf)
- Fresh mini rice paper rolls, with Tiger prawn and perilla
- Mini brioche sliders with corn fritters, smashed avocado and chilli caramel(v)
- Mini noodle boxes of fresh salad with Dukkah spiced chicken, grilled haloumi, pomegranate, orange and thyme (gf)
Drinks and Beverages
- A selection of soft drinks
- Local craft beer
- Fresh white wine and a light red
A sizzling barbecue
Matt's pick for his perfect Melbourne Cup lunch is this Mexican BBQ menu. BBQ catering is more than just a few saussages on the grill. It's full of zesty flavours and colour. Perfect for Melbourne Cup!
- Guacamole dip, spicy tomato dip and corn chips
- Cheesey quesadilla with shallots, olives and coriander
From the Grill
- BBQ corn cob with chilli oil
- Mexican spiced BBQ chicken skewers
- Mexican chicken burgers with guacamole, lettuce and tomato
- Prawn and chorizo skewers
- Homemade lemonade
- Fresh lime margaritas with salted rims
- Cold Corona with fresh lime
Melbourne Cup buffet lunch
My favourite menu for the race is this beautiful buffet lunch. As it is buffet, it is still quite casual, but allows for guests to sit together in groups and talk over lunch. Plus the individual tarts are delicious!
- Moroccan lamb tagine — infused with currants, dates and chickpeas served with aromatic couscous
- Slow oven roasted whole chicken in a Greek Kalavarda style marinade
- Mediterranean vegetable bake — torn basil, ricotta and sweet potato (v)
- Waldorf salad with a citrus mayo and toasted walnuts (v)(df)(gf)
- Couscous and cranberry salad with Greek feta and toasted hazelnuts (v)
- Traditional Greek salad (v)(gf)
- Selection of individual lemon meringue, passionfruit and salted caramel tarts
Bubbles and Drinks
- San Pellegrino
- Chilled sparkling wine
- New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
- Premium lager
What do you think? Which menu would you pick? We have a wide range of catering options for a Melbourne Cup lunch, so speak to the catering experts at Order-In today for a quick quote and check out our tips for hosting a successful Melbourne Cup lunch.